Saturday 22 August 2009

My legs are killing me

Success is mine! It is now 8 AM, and I went to bed last night at 11 PM, so I'm definitely feeling refreshed and ready to tackle this day. Yesterday was long, long, long. We first had orientation for probably 4 hours, but got lots of useful information about London and what-not. Then we had an hour break for lunch, where a couple of us went to a Thai Restaurant. By the way, right after orientation when we stepped outside, it was pouring rain! I was like, AHHH, London is finally welcoming me into his wet, cold arms.

After lunch, we went on a 2 and a half hour walking tour, which really opened up my eyes to the rest of nearby London. We visited Covent Garden and encountered an area FILLED with shops, restaurants, and cafes. There was also a stream of street performers at "The Piazza and Central Market" which reminded me of 3rd St. Promenade. And guys, there are actual shops for men and men only. In America, if the men are lucky, there would be a measly corner of a store dedicated to mens clothing, but over here, mens fashion is very strong and present (making me a happy camper :).

After this long walk, we went finally found time to go cell phone shopping. After encountering ridiculous rates at a store called "Carphone Warehouse", a few of us visited a store for the "3 Network" where we found a very reasonable rate for a phone/plan, so were going to visit the store soon to purchase the phone.

After resting for half an hour at our flats, we were rushed to "Spaccanapoli Pizzeria" where we dined on exquisite pizza. This wasn't the typical Dominos pizza covered in heavy cheesy and typical toppings. The pizzas were long and thin, with extremely fresh toppings. It's nice going to dinners with the group because it allows people that haven't really gotten to know each other a chance to interact. This socializing strengthens the group and makes for a very comfortable trip. After dinner, Thomas (my roommate) and I went to a shop called "Sainsbury's" and picked up some drinks and headed home after for an early sleep.

Overall, it was a very productive day, and I'll do some more exploring today. Wahooo!

2 comments:

  1. i bought tweezers from sainsboury's, mho! and my heart melted a little when i read about the thai dinner. no need to guess who this comment is from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love sainsburys! mark and spencer is one of my favs too!

    and rain! soooo jealous! its just getting hotter over here.

    ReplyDelete