Tuesday 25 August 2009

I'll have another Kronenberg.













So Monday was a new day, classes started. So I'm taking four classes here, each one is on a separate day going from Monday thru Thursday. Mondays class is called "Media & Communication for Social Change." I'm actually really looking forward for this class because of learning theory and information that has already happened, we actually get to implement theory to create a project to raise awareness of a social issue. Being a fan of projects, this class was for me because it'll also allow me vent some creativity.

The teacher is Lisa Robinson and she actually works at the BBC. Having many resources, she offered to help up with any sort of contacts we may need, and were taking a tour of the offices in 2 weeks...really looking forward to that. The class size is tiny (6), because most of the people didn't want to schedule a Monday class so they'll have an extra day for travel. Eh, I guess I'll need to make the most out of my 3 day weekends.

After class, a few of us went to Picadilly Circus to visit "Lillywhites", a gigantic sporting goods store with crazy discounts. I got a pair of Adidas shoes, shorts, and a gym bag all for 40 pounds. Saving money, wohoooo! While packing for this trip, I didn't think I'd actually end up going to a gym, but were gonna have so much time here, might as well.

We then headed around Neil's Garden to have a few beers at "The Cross Keys", a pub rich of history and character. The walls are full of art work and pictures, both of past and present London, and the beer here was extremely good. I probably ended up having four pints, with a few shots of Bacardi in between compliments of Thomas. The good, popular beer here is called "Kronenberg", and I decided to give it a shot. It's a bit bitter with a kick: a taste lacking from other beers (I also had Stella Artois, Becks, and Guinness). I don't know if it's the fact that the beer here is extremely cold, or if it's just the feeling of coolness that oozes when you're holding a pint of beer and standing outside and drinking, but I'm really starting to enjoy beer a lot more here with every trip to the pub.

This morning (it's Tuesday), we had our second class, "The Rhetoric of London." It's basically a class that's gonna teach us a lot about London, and the second part of class involves going on various field trips and tours. Today, we took a walk with Angie to St. Pauls Cathedral which is found in the heart of the financial/business district of London. I found the juxtaposition of the buildings extremely fascinating: old, worn out buildings centuries old were standing right next to modern skyscrapers completed only years ago. The old meets the new, the present battling with history to see who will stand victorious in the end. We also visited the location of the first every coffee shop in London. Mmmmm coffeeeeeeeeeeee. Starbucks is everywhere here! And they're all two stories high, and always packed with people. I've already made several trips to grab my Americano here, compliments of the Terzian family :).

Alright, I've got to admit, I've started to say cheers occasionally. People here us it all the time, and it has a pretty loose meaning. You can either say it as a greeting, or as a thank you, or as a goodbye. Sooooooooooooo, CHEERS!

2 comments:

  1. lol I learned beer is about the only thing they do serve really cold there. everything is else is basically room temp at most places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that building third picture down was SOOO cool. I took a Grim Reepers tour of London (basically explaining where Jack the Ripper killed his prostitutes)....and he killed one a few blocks away from that supposedly....haha suuuch a trippp im glad that you're having fun :D

    ReplyDelete