Friday 28 August 2009

Networking on the Thames



So last night! We got invited to a USC Alumni event that Thomas made possible. It was at a restaurant/pub called Riverside, right on the Thames River. A majority of our group went and we all had a great time. The Trojans were very warm and friendly, and we got a feel of what it's like going from America to living in London. I found out almost all of them have jobs different than what they studied for in college. It's weird how you spend four years studying a specific field but end up in a career you never would imagine having. I also found out that if you want to come and live in London, you need to follow the point system so you'll be accepted by the government. Basically, it's a collection of family history, college, grades, degree, and income. Once you pass the threshold, you're allowed to live here and acquire a work permit.

On the way back home, we all got hungry and were craving some comfort food, so what do we do? McDonalds! It's pretty popular here because they're all in the tourist locations and it's also a global business so everyone knows about it. Waiting in line, Carlos and I started speaking in a British accent. I look to my left and see a British girl staring at me, but I thought nothing of it. A minute later her friend came by her, and she started yelling something to her friend along the lines of "WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING, WHAT'S THEIR PROBLEM, I'D LIKE TO HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH THEM." It was funny.

P.S. Carlos got a free glass cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment