Thursday 20 August 2009

Departing from America

Sometime between August 19 and 20, 2009.

I am currently writing this on Microsoft Word because the wireless internet promised by AA.com is nowhere to be found (I'll later copy+paste). After finishing my second cup of coffee (which, for some reason, always tastes great on flights), I found it fitting to write the first entry of many blog entries during my escapades in London, and Europe overall.

Upon arriving at LAX, I was quick to find my fellow Trojans who are also traveling with me to London. For those who do not know yet, I’ll be studying Communication in London for the Fall semester (August 19 – December 13). Anyways, I previously knew nobody on this program, so I took that risky leap as a lone soldier that has yet to meet his fellow troops during this 4 month adventure. Everyone seems nice and friendly, and we chatted quite a bit at the terminal before the flight.

I’m not going to lie, I am a bit cranky. Those Advil PMs certainly did not help in my failed attempt at getting some shut-eye. After all, the flight is a whopping 10.5 hours. The chairs are so uncomfortable, and it does not help sitting in the last row right in front of the bathroom. I’d say at an average of every 3 minutes, I hear the toilet flushing which makes me unintentionally wonder what kind of feces are being pushed down the plastic cylinder. I say unintentionally because no one would ever want to wonder such a thing, but the boredom and the fact that everyone else around me is asleep produces this odd curiosity. So the top area of the chair has a leather head piece which can be pushed upwards on both the left and right sides, causing a make-shift support for my head to lean on. But it sucked. Just picture me, in a duration of 4 hours, tossing my head left and right as if I’m nodding a solid “no” to a girl asking me to go see the sequel to Sex and the City. This torturous nodding was accompanied by shifting of body weight and helpless drowsiness caused by the Advil PM. I did not sleep, instead watched other people peacefully sleep. Oh, the joys of airplane rides.

On a much lighter note, the food wasn’t that bad. I had a chicken-pasta combo for dinner, accompanied with a bread roll, four pieces of lettuce making the salad, two whole crackers, a triangle of cheddar cheese, and a random oatmeal granola bar (dessert?). They also served a “light breakfast” as professed by the attendant over the P.A. A croissant that tasted like cardboard and a strawberry jam was consumed just minutes ago.

The captain just told us to put the seatbelts back on and to prepare for landing. I’m in London fellas, and ready to start this amazing journey that will hopefully be embedded in my brain as a series of sweet memories I will one day tell my children. Until next time, bye bye! (I would try and say something more clever, like “arrivederci” or “adios” but they speak English in London =/.)

1 comment:

  1. you could say "Cheers!" that's what my ex says and he's from England. - Nancy

    ReplyDelete