Thursday 24 September 2009

A tender, tender night



A few nights ago, I had news that class was cancelled for the next morning. That type of email is definitely on the top of my "desired emails" list. Anyways, I knew staying in would be a complete waste since I had no need to wake up the next day, so I packed my Fred Perry bag with my Ipod, headphones, digital camera, notebook, and pen. And off I went.

I went to somewhere relatively close and interesting: Leicester Square. It's an area filled with tourists, both young and old. Around the time that I got there, it was the young crowd filling the streets. Clubs and bars are rampant, oozing with European men trying to pick up their female counterparts who are dressed like they are working the corner. Nevertheless, I love the liveliness of the area, and it reminds me of Hollywood.

At first, I was on a mission. I've been craving hookah ever since I got here. But more than the hookah, I've been craving the familiarity and vibe of the hookah bars I would visit back home: places filled with tropical scents of hookah flavors, appetizing aroma of Mediterranean food, and the company of my beloved friends. I found one in Leicester square off the internet and went on a trek, unfortunately much to no avail. As I was walking down a dark street with Interpol sounding through my headphones, I saw a very familiar face - I knew she was an actress. I remember her picking up an Academy Award last year, but I didn't remember her name or what she has starred in. But for some reason, I had a feeling my mom loves her, so I decided to approach her. She was dressed in a long red dress, a very slim figure, standing there with her 2 friends. I told her that my mom is a huge fan, and asked if I could take a picture. As her friends were snapping, a woman walked by yelling, "WHO ARE YOU??", to which she replied, "Nobody." I find the dynamic between celebrities and common-folk/fans very engaging. Anyways, she was extremely nice, and I walked away with a smile on my face having met an Oscar winner. Oh, I forgot to mention, she was Tilda Swinton. Her award was for her role in Michael Clayton, and she's been in movies including Curious Cage of Benjamin Button, Burn After Reading, and Chronicles of Narnia, to name a few.

I remembered seeing a nice cafe on the major street in Leicester square, so I headed that direction. I got there, and was very content with the atmosphere. It had an outside patio alongside the busy street. People were drinking their coffees, smoking their cigarettes, and conversing about who-knows-what. I found myself a seat and ordered a white coffee (with milk), and popped open my notebook. For the first half hour, I wrote nothing - instead stared onto the street. I was so amused by just the people. Some sober, some plastered, some with families, some with their significant other, and some with agendas or a place to be, and some just taking a stroll and enjoying the atmosphere.

All of a sudden I had an idea for a video I want to make. This would be much more on the creative side, since I've been focusing more on the documentary-style videos I've been releasing on YouTube. I took some notes about my idea, and shut the notebook, while taking my last sip of coffee. It was now around 2 in the morning, and I walked back home. I was happy for not staying in that night.

I've realized the beauty of being alone. You become much more observant, more content with your plans, and overall, get in touch with who you are as an individual. Especially in new environments, taking your time to take everything in alone can be very satisfying. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment